Are you an Exploratory sophomore? If so, take advantage of University College Advising Center's Sophomore Outreach Program this fall semester. The goal of this program is to provide a customized academic advising session devoted to guiding you through the major exploration and declaration process.
UCAC invites you to schedule a one-hour Sophomore Outreach appointment between September 18th and December 7th.
Schedule An Appointment
To schedule your appointment, call 512-245-2218. Let the receptionist know you want an advising appointment for the Sophomore Outreach Program.
***NOTE: Have you already decided on a major to declare? Go to the advising center for that major instead! Click here for a list of advising centers.
Benefits of Declaring A Major
- Save time and money by taking courses specified to your major.
- Take courses in the subject that interests you.
- Gain access to student organizations, scholarships, and departmental activities.
- Take a step to graduate with a degree.
- Relieve stress from not having a plan.
- Begin networking with students and faculty within your major.
- Begin working with your major’s academic advisors.
Questions To Ask Yourself
When thinking about a major you should ask yourself:
- If I could do one thing for free, what would it be?
- What subject interests me the most?
- What subject do I dislike the most?
- Can I see myself working a full-time job in this field?
- Where and when can I get help and information about this major?
- What are the requirements for this major?
- Have I spoken to someone about this major?
- Have I thought about a career in this field or been to Career Services?