The purpose of the Sophomore Outreach program is to provide one-hour advising sessions to assist Exploratory sophomores at Texas State in finding and declaring a major that is in congruence with their interest, abilities, values, and goals. As with all UCAC programs, our ultimate goal is to contribute to the overall success of each student's undergraduate career by providing direction, decision-making skills, materials and referrals through personalized advising.
Each long semester (i.e. fall and spring), a particular set of Exploratory sophomores is chosen and invited to participate in the program by either meeting with a UCAC advisor to explore majors or declaring their major of interest directly at another advising center on campus.
This Spring 2019, UC Advising will launch a new version of the Sophomore Outreach program that will focus on helping Exploratory Professional students, those interested in pursuing one of the McCoy business majors, clarify their career goals and create a parallel plan to implement in the event that McCoy admission is not obtained in the future.
- Save time and money by taking courses specified to your major.
- Take classes in the subject that interests you most.
- Gain access to student organizations, scholarships, and departmental activities.
- Take an important step to graduate with a degree.
- Relieve stress by creating a plan.
- Begin networking with students and faculty within your major.
- Begin working with your major’s academic advisors.
For more information about major exploration and resources, please visit our Exploratory page.
- Reduce stress by preparing for all possibilities
- Diversify your interests and options
- Define and clarify your career goals in a more comprehensive way
- Increase your understanding of the job market and what employers want
- Identify your unique set of transferable skills and how to market them
- Ensure that you are working toward graduation in a methodical way
For more information about this type of academic planning, please visit our Parallel Planning page.