Skip to Content
Texas State University
Texas State University

Academic Suspension


Students must maintain a 2.0 Texas State GPA to be in considered in good academic standing and to be eligible to continue taking classes at the university. Students will be placed on academic suspension if their Texas State GPA does not improve after two academic probationary semesters.

* Only grades earned at Texas State University are considered in determining if a student is in good academic standing, on probation, or suspension.

For more information on Texas State University‚Äôs suspension policies visit: Academic Policies


The University College Office of the Dean will notify all General Studies, Exploratory, and Exploratory Professional majors who are placed on academic suspension via Texas State email.

Suspended General Studies, Exploratory, and Exploratory Professional majors whose academic suspension was a result of an extenuating circumstance may be eligible to appeal to the University College Dean's Office for reinstatement at Texas State University.

To appeal for reinstatement, University College students must complete a Petition for Reinstatement (see below), including the required documentary evidence, by the posted deadline for the semester in which the suspension occurred.

Students who are currently not active should apply for readmission as returning students using Apply Texas. Note: Do not pay the fee until notified of reinstatement results.

Suspended students who do not provide documentary evidence of extenuating circumstances will not be reinstated.

Petition for Reinstatement

To appeal, complete this form and provide all required documentation:


The University College deadlines to petition for reinstatement:

  • Spring 2020 deadline is Friday, January 3, 2020 at 5 p.m.
  • Summer 2020 deadline is Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 5 p.m.
  • Fall 2020 deadline is Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 5 p.m.

Students who are denied reinstatement by University College may appeal to the Texas State University Suspension Appeals Committee on January 14, 2020 for Spring 2020, May 26, 2020 for Summer 2020 and August 17, 2020 for Fall 2020 in RFM 3219. For more information about this process please contact Dr. Carrie Crisp at

If you have questions regarding the suspension process, please email the Academic Programs Office at